Published March 26, 2013 All credit to TAMARA NOVAKOVIÇ (https://honestcooking.com/meringue-nougat-cake-recipe/)
This is a beautiful, delicious cake. One of those that look great and are simple to make. Your guests will be amazed by its beauty and exquisite taste!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- ⅓ cup (50 g) almonds
- 250ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 40g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 100g The Great Cape Vanilla Crème De Nougat
- 150g butter
- 100 ml thick whipping cream
- Mix egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually mix in sugar. Prepare 3 baking sheets, line them with parchment paper. Draw circles 20 cm diameter onto each paper. Put egg white mixture into piping bag and pipe out inside the lines. Make 3 circles.
- Preheat oven to 100° C
- Toast chopped almonds ans sprinkle them onto each meringue layer. Bake them for about 3 hours.
- For the filling, heat milk with vanilla beans and sugar, until it boils. Add half of boiling milk to egg yolks and whisk. Whisk in cornstarch. Add this mixture to the rest of boiling milk and cook on low heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat butter, add nougat spread, beat everything together. Then mix this into cooled filling. Put this into piping bag with round tip.
- Place first meringue layer onto serving platter. Pipe out filling over it. Cover with second layer. Pipe out filling over it as well. Cover with third meringue layer.
- Whip cream with some vanilla beans and pipe it out onto cake. Decorate with almonds.