(An adaptation of a recipe published by http://recipes-plus.com/recipe/almond-coffee-cake-wreath-22059) All credit to RecipesPlus.
Time: 1.5 hours -2 hours
For 16 Servings
- 2 2/3 cups milk
- 2 tbsps custard powder
- 280g butter (room temperature)
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 5 medium eggs
- 60g flaked almonds
- 1 jar The Great Cape Cappuccino Crème De Nougat
- For the vanilla custard, bring 1 3/4 cup of milk to a boil in a saucepan. Mix the custard powder with 4 tbsp cold milk then pour into the boiling milk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1-2 mins. Remove from the heat and pour into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool for at least 2 hours.
- To make the wreath, bring 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of milk, 3 oz of butter and a pinch of salt to a boil in a saucepan. Pour in the flour all at once. Stir until the dough forms as a mass and pulls away from the bottom of the pan. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in 1 egg. Set aside to cool for 10 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 210°C. Use a 10inch cake pan to draw a circle on a piece of parchment paper. Place the paper on a baking tray. Stir 3 eggs into the pastry one by one. Transfer the batter to a pastry bag with a large star-shaped tip and pipe a wreath onto the baking paper, using the line as a size guide.
- Beat 1 egg then brush it lightly over the surface of the pastry. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 20-25 mins. Do not open the oven door throughout baking. Remove the pastry from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the nougat cream in a bowl above a pan of gently simmering water. Cream the rest of the butter in a bowl then gradually beat in the nougat cream. Mix the nougat buttercream and vanilla custard together. Transfer to a piping bag.
- Slice the wreath in half horizontally. Pipe the nougat cream filling into the pastry then chill for 1 hour. Dust with icing sugar before serving.