A WONDERFULLY easy one-dish dinner or a perfect side dish to a protein.
This is a totally yummy one dish meal that is so easy and quick to make, but really filling. The pine nuts add a really delicious nutty taste and its super healthy too.
Prep Time: about 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4-6 as a side serving, or 2 as a main dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (separated into 1 Tsp each)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped up onion
- 1 cup quinoa (dry)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 and 1/2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon zest of lemon
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- In a pot over medium low heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, the minced garlic, and the onion. Stir constantly until the onion is tender and garlic is fragrant.
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. (This removes the quinoa's natural coating called saponin which can make it taste bitter.)
- Add in the quinoa and chicken stock. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and turn to low. Allow to cook for about 7 minutes and then stir again.
- Spread the finely chopped broccoli (Remove all of the stems and chop into very small pieces like picture shown above.) evenly on top of the cooking quinoa and chicken stock.
- Don't stir in the broccoli but leaving it on top will lightly steam it. Return the cover and cook until the quinoa has absorbed all of the broth and the broccoli has been steamed.
- Stir everything together and remove from the heat.
- Add in the finely chopped parsley, the fresh lemon zest, the fresh lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the pine nuts.
It is highly recommended to lightly toast the pine nuts by placing them in the bottom of the pan you used to cook the quinoa over low heat. No oil is needed. Leave in a single layer on the bottom of the pan and stir frequently watching until the pine nuts become lightly browned. Watch these carefully as they burn easily.